Apartment Gardening


When did my gardening interest begin? Probably from my childhood days. I was greatly inspired by my mom's spectacular garden but have never tried gardening until a few years back. My passion for flowering plants and home grown veggies have increased since then. When I moved to an apartment in Chicago, I just thought I would try an indoor garden. Initially I included some crotons and creepers that didn't require much care. Sitting beside them everyday, watching them grow and having a hot cup of Coffee....Did I just say coffee? Okay, lets take a short coffee break and get back to some interesting plants to grow in an apartment.

Flowers:
Jasmines:
There are many varieties of Jasmine. The most noted being Jasminum sambac (mallipu in tamil). In India it is usually made as a garland and offered to God. Traditional indian women wear them as a hair adornment. That being said, lets grow one now! : )
* Jasmines thrive well on a sunny spot, so place them near a bright southern/western facing window.
* Use a good potting mix. Miracle grow works best.
* Jasmines like dry conditions. Do not over-water them.
* Fertilize them every month.
* Start with a small 4" plant so that it can adjust to your room conditions.

Ready to buy one? If you live in Chicago area, you can look for a live plant in a Farmer's market or you can buy one online here:
Buy a Jasmine Plant!

Vegetables:
What tastes better than a home grown veggie? There are many vegetables that can be grown successfully in an indoor or patio garden. I have tried a few of these and I'm planning to start a balcony veggie garden this summer! Woohoo! Can't be more excited! Lets start with tomatoes first!

Tomato:

* Look for patio/balcony varieties like Patio, Red robin, Tiny tim, Window box etc.
* Plant seeds indoors 10-12 weeks before setting them outside.
* Use large containers, 5-10 gallon containers works well for patio varieties.
* Water them everyday if you are using a 5 gallon container but do not leave them water-logged.
* Tomatoes likes warm spots, so place them on the south facing balcony with 8-12 hours of direct sunlight.

Other vegetables that can be grown successfully on a patio/balcony include cucumber, pepper, eggplant, carrot, beets and squash. Good luck with your apartment gardening! Will update you on my new veggie garden soon...Keep reading! : )